Melbourne & Olympic Parks (M&OP) acknowledges the Wurundjeri People of the Kulin Nation as Traditional Owners of the land on which the precinct is located and recognise their ongoing connection to this land, and rich culture. We pay respects to their Elders past, present and future.
The land that now hosts the M&OP precinct has been a gathering place for generations.
Prior to Federation, the area was reserved as part of ‘Government Paddock’, which over time included police barracks, zoological gardens and parklands. In 1909, the area now encompassing Olympic Park was proclaimed Crown Land by the Victorian Government as a “site for the recreation, convenience and amusement of people.” In this period, the area hosted cycling, racing, athletics, wrestling and Australian Rules Football.
In 1933, the Olympic Park sporting arena was established, and speed-car racing joined the roster of events. By 1940, World War II was underway and petrol rationing made motorsports unviable. The arena was demolished in 1946 before significant redevelopment was undertaken to prepare the precinct to host field hockey and cycling events during the 1956 Olympic Games. After the Olympics, soccer, rugby union, greyhound racing, and even equestrian competitions were often held across the precinct.
By 1988, a significant redevelopment was underway to establish a new, purpose-built, multi-venue National Tennis Centre to host the Australian Open, establishing the venues that would come to be known as Rod Laver Arena and Margaret Court Arena.
In 2000, a new multipurpose area (now John Cain Arena) was established, and in 2006 the precinct hosted various events for the Commonwealth Games.
In 2010, AAMI Park was opened, and over the last decade, nearly a billion dollars has been invested by the Victorian Government to redevelop Melbourne Park, securing the precinct as the home of the Australian Open until at least 2044.
Rod Laver Arena
Rod Laver Arena was opened at Melbourne Park in 1988 as part of the National Tennis Centre complex.
Welcoming more than a million people each year, the popular arena is centre court for the Australian Open and hosts a wide range of live sport and entertainment events, from historic grand slam showdowns to world-famous international touring artists.
margaret court arena
Margaret Court Arena was also opened when the Australian Open relocated to the new National Tennis Centre in 1988.
MCA is known as a versatile venue, adapting to host a range of sporting events (including tennis, netball and basketball), live music and entertainment.
It is renowned for its excellent acoustics and atmosphere, as well as its retractable roof.
john cain Arena
Opened in 2000, this $65 million arena was developed as a flexible, multipurpose venue.
A 250m cycling track, retractable seating and configurable floor plan allow the venue to host a range of events while keeping crowds close to the action.
It plays an important role as a show court for the Australian Open, and regularly hosts basketball, netball and live performances.
The $190 million development of a new rectangular stadium was announced by the Victorian Government in 2006, and the venue opened in 2010 on the site of Edwin Flack Field (named for Australia’s first Olympian).
AAMI Park replaced the Olympic Park Stadium as Melbourne’s home of rectangular sports, with capacity for crowds of up to 30,000.
The newest chapter in the precinct’s history is unfolding at CENTREPIECE, Melbourne’s most surprising new conference and events venue.
Built on the site of the former Melbourne Park Function Centre as part of the Victorian Government’s near-$1 billion investment in the redevelopment of Melbourne Park, CENTREPIECE is the new epicentre for world-class events.
The new 5,000-capacity Kia Arena is Melbourne’s most exciting new outdoor sports and entertainment venue, positioned at the centre of the Melbourne Park precinct.
Partially sunken into the ground and located opposite Rod Laver Arena, Kia Arena comes to life as a premier show court during the Australian Open, while also offering infinite possibilities for unique events.
Olympic park oval
The Olympic Park Oval is located on the former site of the Olympic Park Stadium which was decommissioned following the development of AAMI Park.
The oval provides training facilities for the Collingwood Football Club’s AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW teams.
In the late 1800s, this tract of land was leased to William Henry Gosch as a paddock for his company’s horses.
The Gosch’s Paddock oval has long been used by the precinct’s elite sporting teams for training, and is enjoyed by locals as a recreational space.
Originally constructed as the 5,500-seat swimming pool for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, and since redeveloped to fit a variety of purposes, the AIA Centre is now home to training and administrative facilities for the Collingwood Magpies.