On this page:
Updated: December, 2020
Upcoming Transport Works
For live updates, journey planning tools and travel advice go to:
- Victoria’s Big Build – for major projects information and updates
- PTV – for public transport service changes and journey planning tools
- VicRoads – for updates on major road network changes and travel advice
Major works taking place between December 2020 and February 2021 include:
- West Gate Bridge and Freeway: Maintenance on the West Gate Bridge and rebuilding the southbound bridge at Grieve Parade, and ramps at the M80 Ring Road interchange.
- Footscray Road: Building an elevated road as part of the West Gate Tunnel Project.
- Werribee Line: Removing the Werribee Street level crossing.
- Craigieburn, Frankston and Lilydale lines: Preparing to remove six dangerous and congested level crossings.
- Cranbourne Line: Laying 8km of additional track to allow more trains to run.
- Upfield Line: Completing two new stations at Coburg and Moreland.
- Sunbury Line: Upgrading the track, power and platforms for more modern trains.
- Ballarat Line: Completing works to allow for extra services in 2021.
- Gippsland Line: Building a new Avon River rail bridge so trains can travel faster.
- Metro Tunnel: Tunnel-boring to connect new underground stations.
- North East Link: Relocating gas, water and sewer pipes and drains on Greensborough and Bulleen roads.
- Monash and Princes Freeways: Adding 36km of extra lanes to make it safer and easier to travel around Melbourne.
- College Crescent, Parkville: road maintenance works between Princes Park Drive and Swanston Street roundabout with disruptions to bus routes 505 and 546.
- Bridge Road, Richmond: Route 48, 75 and 78 tram maintenance works between Church Street and Hawthorn Bridge.
We encourage you to plan ahead and allow extra time as significant delays are expected.
Public transport is the quickest and easiest way to get to and from an event.
Trains, trams and buses operate frequently, dropping you right to the door of the precinct. On site public car parking is very limited.
Train stations within easy walking distance:
- Flinders Street - from here you can walk across the Tanderrum Bridge.
Trams which stop very close to the precinct:
- Tram 70 (Wattle Park) from Flinders Street and Richmond Stations. These stop at Rod Laver Arena (Stop 7B), John Cain Arena (Stop 7C) and AAMI Park (Stop 7D).
- Tram 48 (North Balwyn) and Tram 75 (Vermont South) stops adjacent to MCG on Wellington Parade.
Bus routes which stop within easy walking distance:
- Bus 246 (Latrobe Uni – Elsternwick Station) stops at corner of Olympic Boulevard and Punt Road.
For private bus bookings, please see the buspark bookings information page.
For more information including timetables, fares and maps, visit Public Transport Victoria or call 1800 800 007.
Ride Share Services
The pick-up and drop off point for ride share services, such as Uber, is out the front of John Cain Arena on Olympic Boulevard.
We encourage guests not to order their ride share service until they have reached the pick-up point to avoid causing congestion along Olympic Boulevard.
On event days, there’s a taxi rank available next to The Oval on Olympic Boulevard. This is close to all venues and a safe and efficient way to hail a taxi.
Melbourne Water Taxis
Melbourne Water Taxis operate on the Yarra River seven days per week.
Water taxis deliver guests to a docking platform opposite Rod Laver Arena. They can accommodate parties of up to 12 people and need to be pre-booked.
For more information, or to make a booking, please contact Melbourne Water Taxis on 0416 068 655.
Melbourne River Cruises
Melbourne River Cruises can provide you with ultimate experience for groups up to 150 people when attending events at Melbourne & Olympic Parks.
For more information, please contact Melbourne River Cruises: