Lend Lease have been chosen as the managing contractor for the refurbishment of Australia’s top concert venue Rod Laver Arena.
As well as being the Australian Open’s centre court, Rod Laver Arena was recently rated by Pollstar magazine as the top Australian venue by concert tickets sales with 289,924 tickets sold in the first three quarters of 2015.
The new refurbishment will allow Rod Laver Arena to host more shows and bigger productions with improvements including:
• a new eastern pod to become the main entrance to the arena
• a more efficient loading bay allowing shows to 'bump' in and out faster reducing the down time between concerts
• enhanced equipment and rigging facilities ensuring RLA can host the biggest shows
• automated retractable seating that can be set up in a matter of hours instead of the several days required previously
• improved eateries offering diners a wider variety of options in more convenient locations around the building.
After a detailed and lengthy evaluation process, Lend Lease’s extensive experience on similar large scale, complex projects impressed the evaluation panel and was a significant factor in their selection.
Lend Lease was also able to demonstrate a clear strategy for the refurbishment of RLA whilst keeping the venue open as much as possible during the works.
“The improvements planned will be the most significant to take place in the history of Rod Laver Arena,” says Brian Morris, CEO of Melbourne & Olympic Parks.
“The back-of-house upgrades will allow our promoters and hirers to bring bigger and better shows to the Arena, while the overall event experience will be greatly enhanced for our patrons.”
“We’re delighted to again work with the award-winning team at Lend Lease.”
The refurbishment is part of Stage 2 of the $700+ million Melbourne Park Redevelopment along with the new Administration and Media Building as well as the new Batman Avenue footbridge which directly links Melbourne Park with Birrarung Marr.
Works on Rod Laver Arena will begin after the 2016 Australian Open and are expected to be completed in 2019. The venue will continue to host events during the refurbishment process.
Enna Giampiccolo, Melbourne & Olympic Parks
0401 049 266